Header Ads

Self-made superheroes and street naps: Manila – a cartoon

Inspired by the Japanese Ukiyo-E woodblock prints of the Floating World, Marius Black’s portraits show the daily urban life of Filipinos



Inspired by the Japanese Ukiyo-E woodblock prints of the Floating World, my Manila Ukiyo-E prints show the daily urban life of Filipinos. To create each piece, I take pictures of interesting people I see in the streets, then use the photos as reference for line drawings and print them on watercolour paper. That’s where the print ends.

When it comes to colouring, I hand-paint them using a range of techniques depending on the subject including watercolour, gouache or even marker pens, making these works a hybrid of both print and hand-painted art.

As an homage to the original art form, and as reminder to myself of what I am trying to achieve by using this style, I sign these pieces as best I can in Japanese Katakana.

Related: How the other half eat: inside the US government's canteens – a cartoon
Related: From south to north London: the city seen though chance encounters – a cartoon

Continue reading...

* This article was originally published here

Post a Comment

0 Comments